Gwyn Richards pieces to camera and voice over explains that the Derbyshire villages of Derwent and Ashopton were destroyed during the construction of Ladybower Reservoir in the 1940s. There are interviews with people who remember the construction of the reservoir and the resulting destruction of the villages. In the order they appear the interviewees are: Clifford Medley from the Derwent Valley Water Board; Miss Nellie Thorp who ran a local B&B; local school teacher Miss Hettie Bingham; and Willis Ollerenshaw. Stills are used to show the construction of the reservoir. We also see the local war memorial; cemetery; ramblers in Derbyshire (Library shots from Look Around: Peak Planning); and shots of the completed reservoir. The Derwent Reservoir which was opened in 1916 is also referred to and shown.
No credits specified
With thanks to the Bamford and District History Group for providing details of the interviewees. This film is available to buy from the MACE shop as part of the 'Derbyshire on Film Volume 1: The Peak District' DVD.