We see shots in colour showing a river, a bonfire, a man and a boy playing with a dog and boys alongside a pond and with chickens (this opening section is in Dufaycolor). Continuing in colour we visit an air show (pilots with Daily Express sponsorship), see a man and two boys at a flower farm, two shots of LNER steam locomotives (the second is a streamlined A4 pacific) on the East Coast mainline. We then see Mansfield town centre decorated for the Coronation of George VI in 1937 followed by parades with decorated floats in the town (mixture of colour and b/w) and b/w shots of men playing golf. The next section shows the opening of Mansfield Central Fire Station on 24 May 1939 by Sir Vivian L Henderson, Chairman of the Fire Service Commission, and a rescue demonstration at the station. Next we see the Royal Engineers Territorial Army leaving their headquarters on Chesterfield Road and driving to a park in Mansfield where they demonstrate searchlights and an acoustic listening device in front of a crowd of onlookers. Then we see a sequence with intertitles showing a ceremony in Mansfield town centre held on 21 January 1940 in which three trailer ambulances are presented to the St John’s Ambulance by Captain P. Muschamp JP (21 January 1940). The vehicles are presented to the District Officer G.E. Hardy followed by a dedication from Rev K.B. Frampton of St John's in Mansfield and a hand-over to the ARP Local Controller A.C. Shepherd. The Mayor and Major Critchley-Salmonson inspect personnel. Following this we see views of the District and General Hospital protected with sandbags with staff posing for the camera. This is followed by shots of a crashed German aircraft on display. In the remainder of the film we see shots of wartime parades in Mansfield involving the ARP, AFS, WVS, cadets and various army regiments (in both colour and black and white), speeches being made from the steps of Mansfield Town Hall and finally shots of RAF cadets being inspected, marching past and a prize giving.
No credits specified
Film shot by Mr Collins who ran a chemists in Mansfield.