In the coming weeks you will be able to view a tutorial on this page, but in the meantime, if you need assistance on how to search for footage on this site, please read below:
- At the top of every page you will see a SEARCH BAR. In the box ‘Search Over 40,000 titles’ type in the keywords of the topic you’re researching. E.g. If you’re searching for Birmingham buses, simply, key in ‘Birmingham buses’. If you know the year you’re searching for you can also key this in here.
- You will then be directed to a RESULTS screen. For this example you will see there are 103 results. This defaults to LIST VIEW, but you also have the option to view the results in THUMBNAIL VIEW.
- LIST VIEW: Returns the results as a small still image (if a clip is available), the title, year, summary of clip and the duration.
- THUMBNAIL VIEW: Returns a larger still image (if clip available), the title, year and duration.
- Click the Thumbnail or title to view the catalogue entry.The catalogue entry will give you further information of the title. If the title is from the ITV regional collection this may be a short description of the news story or documentary, but many entries also have shot lists and further notes on the filmmaker, or context of an event.
- If the clip is available you can now click the still image to view the clip. If it isn’t yet available you will see a link to further information on how you can access this footage,
ADVANCED SEARCH BUTTON
If you want to hone your search to a specific decade or genre of film, click on the Advanced Search Button to be directed to our dedicated search page.
Here you will have three options.
1. ADVANCED MACE SEARCH
Here you can be more specific about the year/s in which you wish to research, the genre of film. E.g. documentary, home movie. This facility is still being developed. Contact us via email if you have suggestions on we can make this search easier for you.
2. SEARCH YOUR FILM ARCHIVES
Here you can search 12 screen archives across the UK, including MACE. Please note, MACE does not hold copies of material from the other 11 screen archives listed here. Contact the other archives individually to enquire about their collections.
3. MAP SEARCH
Here you can use the map to search by county. Simply click on a COUNTY to be directed to a dedicated page for that county which includes a list of towns which either appear or are mentioned in a catalogue entry.